Frequently Asked Questions

How do I become a KRA Member?

For any questions about how to become a member, just leave your name, apartment number and means of contact in the KRA Message box, or send us an e-Mail to

  • Annual membership dues effective July 1st, are $10.00 a year, per apartment. 
  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • Name must be on a signed lease with The Kenmore
Membership has its advantages and to be fully represented, every Head of Household should join the KRA and keep their annual membership dues current.

Contact the KRA for further details.

Reminder:  The KRA Board, as of August 29, 2020, has received no indication that the Kenmore is on the market for sale.

Will the KRA review my annual rent increase?

  • Yes, the KRA will review your annual rent increase
  • If you have any doubt about your increase - have it checked
  • A mistake can only be corrected, going back three years
  • Reminder:  only one increase every twelve (12) months
  • If you renew your lease, speak with the KRA first 

It is doubtful that the DC Government has the time, nor are they required, to check every rent increase that is submitted by a landlord.

How much are the annual membership dues?

  • Annual membership dues are ten ($10.00) dollars per apartment unit and non-refundable.
  • Membership dues will cover the Head of Household and all occupants that are over eighteen (18) years of age and on a signed lease with The Kenmore.

Join today ... together we can do things the right way and create an exceptional living experience.

Will the KRA help me with management problems?

Yes.  You should make every attempt to get the on-site management office (not the Concierge) to resolve any management problems or concerns.  In addition, it is extremely important that you document every contact with management.  For example keep copies of notes, messages, e-mail messages and telephone calls with dates and times.

The Concierge (Front Desk Staff) is not where you should direct your concerns when you are having difficulties getting things resolved. Take them directly to Ms. Sharron Howard, our General Manager or Ms. Sheara Jemison, our Assistant Property Manager.

What types of problems can I expect to get help with from the KRA?

Our community, like any other, has concerns about a number of matters that include, but are not limited to, security, rent payments, rent increases, air conditioning, heating, water leaks, maintenance, parking, laundry room conditions, pest control, package delivery, housekeeping, overall management, and other related issues.  

The KRA Board needs to hear from you if any of these matters, or other types of problems, are impacting your day-to-day residency at The Kenmore. Our goal is to improve the quality of our apartment homes and create an extraordinary living experience within a high-level operating community that we all deserve.

Can the KRA provide any legal advice?

No. The KRA is not able to provide any legal advice.  However, we can provide city wide resources that can assist you at a very low hourly rate or on a pro bono basis.  Check with the KRA Board if you have any tenant related matters that might need legal attention.

Reach out to Neighborhood Legal Services Program (NLSP) at as a means for legal assistance.

64 New York Ave, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Telephone    (202) 832-6577
Facsimile      (202) 832-1984

Must I obtain renters insurance?

As a renter, you would probably want a reasonable amount of renters insurance, and it is highly recommended.  However, unless your lease indicates that you must obtain renters insurance, it is your personal decision.

Read your lease very carefully.

  • Check with the Department of Insurance, Security, and Business, they have information on renters insurance, and a comparative chart of the different renters insurance, and,  

  • If negligent, management could be held responsible for damages to your personal property regardless of whether you have renters insurance.

What should I do about noise disturbances?

  • The Landlord is required to see that you have peace and quiet and not disturbed by your neighbors.  
  • Remember, your apartment home is your sanctuary.
There is really no such thing as quiet time, noise disturbances can be a violation 24-7 and must be dealt with by management.

Loud music, loud televisions, noise from pets, children, musical instruments, and late night parties are all considered to be a noise disturbance regardless of the time of day.

Management will suggest that you call the police. The police are already overwhelmed with actual crimes and a routine noise disturbance really falls within the jurisdiction of management. In some cases the police should be called and if for no other reason ... to create a record of the disturbance.

Above all, do not approach, write, or call the resident creating the disturbance.  Let management handle the matter.  They have all the power and if necessary, they can evict the person responsible for the disturbance.

How does Rent Control work?

How does rent control work?  The DC Rent Control system is often difficult for many to understand and explain.  However, the basic things to remember as a resident are:

You can only get one (1) rent increase within a twelve (12) month period.

Your rent increase cannot be more than the Consumer Price Index (CPI-W), + two (2.0%) percent of general applicability.  An annual rent increase is capped at ten (10.0%) percent.  If you are 62 years or older, or a tenant with disabilities' you may register with DHCD Rental Accommodation Division to be eligible for rent increase protection.  If you attain status as an elderly tenant or a tenant with disabilities, the percentage of the rent increase is determined by the Social Security Cost of Living Adjustment (SS COLA) or the Consumer Price Index (CPI), whichever has the lowest percentage.  The two (2.0%) percent of general applicability is not applied and the rent increase is capped at five (5.0%) percent.

A few other things to consider:

You do not need to sign a new lease when the term of your existing lease expires, and you are then able to live at the Kenmore on a month-to-month lease for as long as you remain a resident in good standing, and pay your rent when due.

If management tries to force, or bribe, you into signing a new lease, you should speak with the KRA, and, be very careful if you decide to switch apartments, or if you need to relocate to another apartment temporarily.

It is best to get all details clearly defined "before" making any internal moves within the building.  It is best to check with the KRA before renewing your lease, or if you want to change apartments, and before you pay any rent increase to move.